I have an admission to make. While meats and veggies can fill the stomach, and even do it well, I don’t consider a meal to be completed until I’ve had my taste of dessert.
In the realm of desserts I have my preferences. Nothing tops a good cake or tart, and my favourite would be a nice lemon tart. The balance of the lemon’s sour flavour, and the sweetness of sugar coming together with the delicate tart case. Yum.
Here’s the recipe that I’ve used most often. It’s fairly simple with absolutely wonderful results. Just make certain to remember that the tart needs to refrigerate overnight, so if you’re entertaining guests it will need to be prepared in advance.
Ingredients (serves 6)
* 185g Marie or Nice biscuits, processed to fine crumbs
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 90g butter, melted
* pure icing sugar, to serve
* 3 lemons
* 4 eggs
* 1 cup caster sugar
* 125g butter, chopped
1. Lightly grease a 2cm-deep, 24cm (base) loose-based round flan pan. Combine the biscuit crumbs, cinnamon, nutmeg and melted butter in a bowl, and mix well. Press the mixture into the base and sides of prepared pan. Refrigerate the crust for 1 hour.
2. Make the lemon curd: Finely zest the rind of 1 lemon and juice all of the lemons. Set the lemon juice aside. Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a heatproof bowl until they are well combined. Add the lemon rind zest and 2/3 cup of the lemon juice, whisking the mixture constantly until it is well combined. Place the whole bowl over a saucepan of simmering water without allowing the base of the bowl to touch the water. Let it cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for 20 to 25 minutes or until it is thick and custard-like. Do not allow it to boil. Remove from heat and whisk in the chopped butter.
3. Pour the lemon curd into the chilled tart case. Cover it with some plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Dust the tart with icing sugar and serve.
Of course, for parties and events there is so much more to consider than just the desserts. If you would rather let the experts take care of your cakes and tarts for your next event, Diamond Blue Catering has you covered.